1882: Settlement around Fort Edmonton.
(Photo Source: Edmonton's West Side Story)
Certificate of title granted to Malcolm Groat for River Lot 2
(Photo Source: Library and Archives Canada)
1903: Groat, shown after his retirement; a respected and prominent citizen of the City of Edmonton.
(Photo Source: Provincial Archives of Alberta)
As Malcolm Groat developed his business interests, he saw an opportunity to profit by selling off all but 20 acres from his original 900 acres to a developer: William G. Tretheway.
1906: Alberta becomes a province and Edmonton is selected as the Capital City.
Tretheway sells his land to James Carruthers, a wealthy grain merchant from Montreal.
Optimism fuels land speculation and James Carruthers envisions an exclusive subdivision west of the Groat Ravine and bounded on the south by the North Saskatchewan River.
(Photo Source: Archives de Montreal)
1907: Carruthers sells 29 acres of land bordered by the North Saskatchewan River and Groat Ravine to the Provincial Government for 'Government House'.
1909: Carruthers persuades the City of Edmonton to replace the wooden bridge across Groat Ravine with an new iron bridge to extend streetcar service, west of 124 Street.
(Photo Source: Edmonton Archives)
1910: Looking west along 102 Avenue (Athabasca Avenue) from 125 Street: Road being prepared for surfacing.
(Photo Source: Glenbow Museum)